Monday, October 27, 2008

spiritual truths from unexpected sources

first off, this is not meant to induce nostalgia or make you say "i remember that!" as with so many other posts where i pull out some golden oldies. this is different.

i'm going through the weekly house cleaning routine. rowyn is following me around undoing most of what i've done. but we're listening to madonna's "immaculate collection", so it's all good, you know? we're singing and dancing and playing in between chores and having a good ol' time. then we sit down for lunch. as we're sitting there eating together, "papa don't preach" comes on. (i already have an interesting history with this song, as it was one of the first moments where the spirit manifested itself to me outside of a church service and left me wondering, what the hell are you doing bearing witness to kelly osbourne singing a madonna cover at the VMAs?)

but this time, some things came into focus for me about the story of this song and WHY god would want it out there and even bear witness to it. it is the story of a young teen girl who has, presumably, fallen into the exact kind of situation her father has warned her about getting into. what's interesting is that the only real character in the song is the girl. she is the only one giving narative. she's the only one we actually know anything about. but from what she says, we can glean a lot about this situation.

first off, although she HAS gone out and done something she knows her father didn't want her to do, instead of trying to lie about it, or keep it to herself, when she knows she's in over her head, she goes straight back to her father and offers him the truth. she tells him everything. what a right picture of our relationship with THE father. when we fuck up, instead of running away, he wants us to come to him and tell him about it. not so he can beat us up or heap on the guilt, but so he can help. and this is what she is doing. we don't get her father's response, but it makes me wonder...

what would the father's response be? if we view this as a picture of how god is with us when we fail, how would you expect or hope this fictional father would be? would he accept with loving arms and offer help? will he instead rage and belittle? will he offer help? will he be able to overlook what she has done in this single limited instance, and recognize the greater things at work in his daughter? such as the fact that not only did she come straight to daddy when she needed help, but that she has also decided that she wants to have her baby instead of aborting it or giving it away. you would HOPE that seeing how, even when making mistakes, his daughter is level-headed and concerned about doing right, would make a father proud.

but sometimes we can be self-righteous pricks about stuff, you know? how would i respond to my daughter if she offered such a vulnerable and honest heart cry to me?


8 comments:

Erin said...

That is one of my favorites of hers. The last 3 seconds have stuck in my head my entire life.

I think this is something I have learned in the last two years or so, exactly what you speak of...the idea that going to God when we have messed up instead of hiding...

And I don't think any of us can really know how we will react to any situation until we're there, but I do believe that thinking ahead helps.

Sue said...

Aww, yeah, those 3 seconds at the end. So sweet. Madonna's eyes look so big in this vid, you could swim in them.

I am in the interesting place where I feel a million times more comfortable going to God when I mess up than any human person. Which is how it should be. I just thought that it being that much easier with God would make it easier with people, but people are suck fuck-fucks :)

I'm so judgmental at the moment, Papa. It's very disturbing.

See, went to him straight away! :)

Erin said...

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion Sue is making fun of me? ;-)

Sue said...

LOL. No I'm not. You're just being paranoid now :)

Erin said...

What? (looks around) Me? Paranoid? (looks over shoulder). Why would you say that?

Valorosa said...

Well you are probably going to find out one day

Not necessarily this scenario but there will be others

;-)

Manuela said...

ah, this brought back memories. I was in middle school when this was out. I was an MTV junkie all the way and LOVED Madonna. The ending is so powerful... Still love it!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=259462]mexitil cheapest price[/url]