Friday, August 29, 2008

the church of what's happening now

since we discussed sia, it brought to mind one of my very favoritest songs in the whole big world. this is one of those songs that i hear and i wonder, "where did you get this information?" this song, more than any other, captures the exact essence and meaning of grace. as far as i'm concerned this is the greatest worship song ever written. and as far as i know, sia is not a christian by any means. it is a song i came by early in my deconstruction and it has brought me much comfort and strength. it helps me to recenter myself. i have even included it on the autobiographical 2 cd set that i have made to be played at my funeral. i really hope you enjoy this as much as i do.


(i completely apologize for the irrelevant video. please ignore it while listening. if i knew of a site that just did songs i could embed, i would use it.)





I want to change, to rearrange
What is going on
I need to change, I need to play
Like a five year old

I can't detach from the past and all of the pain
I need to learn, start from scratch begin again

Throw away yesterday
Today is a brand new day
Throw away yesterday
Today is a brand new day

So I'm going to eat one hundred sweets
I don't care if I get fat
And I'm going to speak one I won't censor me
I know I can take nothing back

And I'm going to jump I will unburden
I cannot go too deep
I will not run from bad things I've done
They're things I'll try not to repeat

Throw away yesterday
Today is a brand new day
Throw away yesterday
Today is a brand new day

Welcome to
The church of what's happening now
Head straight through
It costs nothing but change

Throw away yesterday
Today is a brand new day
Throw away yesterday
Today is a brand new day

7 comments:

Erin said...

Never heard it, loved it. Thanks for that, Jon.

Sue said...

Welcome to
The church of what's happening now
Head straight through
It costs nothing but change

+++++

Yeah

One Voice of Many said...

Sue - I love that line also. Pretty painful price to pay if you ask me! But.. alas, well worth it.

Michelle

Dena G said...

Wow. That's great.

One of my big "turning points" came when I realized that, not only could I not detach from the past and the pain, but, had I not experienced those things, I wouldn't be the person I am today. When I say it now, it sounds like one of those simplistic "duh" things that I should just realize as a given, but...it took awhile for me to really see (and really appreciate) the implications.

(I'm going to do the CD thing, too.) :-)

jON said...

really dena? are you already working on it? or is it just an idea you would like to accomplish someday?

jON said...

(the cd thing, that is)

Dena G said...

I have a list of "possible" songs...haven't narrowed them down yet. I used to have a list of songs I wanted someone to sing at my funeral, but I think it would have to be a full-blown concert, so...I've decided a CD is the best option. :-)

My aunt did that at my uncle's visitation--the CD played in the background the whole time and it was really cool.