Saturday, September 15, 2007

strange what you find sometimes


last week as i was searching through an old beastie boys cd booklet, i came across these lyrics. i was surprised as it was not one of the songs i really listened to before. yet as i read these lyrics i was struck by how similar our belief structures are despite the differences in theology. growing up i was always taught to see differences as reasons for disbelief in others. somehow, this seems almost wrong in the face of lyrics like this. and makes me wonder at the hugeness of god and perhaps that he may choose to reveal himself to different peoples in different ways. yet with an undercurrent that is the same through the spirit.


"Bodhisattva Vow"

As I Develop The Awakening Mind I Praise The Buddha As They Shine
I Bow Before You As I Travel My Path
To Join Your Ranks I Make My Full Time Task
For The Sake Of All Beings I Seek
The Enlighted Mind That I Know I'll Reap
Respect To Shantideva And All The Others
Who Brought Down The Darma For Sisters And Brothers
I Give Thanks For This World As A Place To Learn
And For This Human Body That I Know I've Earned
And My Deepest Thanks To All Sentient Beings
For Without Them There Would Be No Place To Learn What I'm Seeing
There's Nothing Here That's Not Been Said Before
But I Put It Down Now So I'll Be Sure
To Solidify My Own Views And I'll Be Glad If It Helps Anyone Else Out Too

If Others Disrespect Me Or Give Me Flack
I'll Stop And Think Before I React
Knowing That They're Going Through Insecure Stages
I'll Take The Opportunity To Exercise Patience
I'll See It As A Chance To Help The Other Person
Nip It In The Bud Before It Can Worsen
A Change For Me To Be Strong And Sure
As I Think On The Buddhas Who Have Come Before
As I Praise And Respect The Good They've Done
Knowing Only Love Can Conquer In Every Situation
We Need Other People In Order To Create
The Circumstances For The Learning That We're Here To Generate
Situations That Bring Up Our Deepest Fears
So We Can Work To Release Them Until They're Cleared
Therefore, It Only Makes Sense To Thank Our Enemies Despite Their Intent

The Bodhisattva Path Is One Of Power And Strength
A Strength From Within To Go The Length
Seeing Others Are As Important As Myself
I Strive For A Happiness Of Mental Wealth
With The Interconnectedness That We Share As One
Every Action That We Take Affects Everyone
So In Deciding For What A Situation Calls
There Is A Path For The Good For All
I Try To Make My Every Action For That Highest Good
With The Altruistic Wish To Achive Buddhahood
So I Pledge Here Before Everyone Who's Listening
To Try To Make My Every Action For The Good Of All Beings
For The Rest Of My Lifetimes And Even Beyond
I Vow To Do My Best To Do No Harm
And In Times Of Doubt I Can Think On The Dharma
And The Enlightened Ones Who've Graduated Samsara

6 comments:

Nate said...

I think that eternity in their hearts is alot like this. They believe in the same God, but express it differently. I have not studied this, but I think if I did I could find that it is pretty much so.

John said...

Hi, Im from Melbourne Australia.
Please check out an essay is that there is nothing "else" or no difference whatsoever at all---just the Indivisible Conscious Light of Real God.

www.abouadidam.org/readings/parental_deity/index.html

Plus:

1. www.dabase.org/dht7.htm
2. www.dabase.org/broken.htm

Valorosa said...

Blood sacrifice ...

John, I think there is a huge difference ...

and jon ...
"For The Rest Of My Lifetimes And Even Beyond
I Vow To Do My Best To Do No Harm"

They have broken that vow a hundred times over ...

There's not a soul in the world when tested enough who is able to perfectly act in a way to do no harm ... and we are tested every day ... otherwise there would be no need for God to sacrifice Himself and there would never be a need for forgiveness ... Buddhist monks don't live in the real world of having to really live out here ... they are sheltered and I would bet my life (this is how sure I am) there is not always harmony among them, and there is sin, if we were allowed to quietly and invisibly listen to all there interactions ... :-)

Ideals ... yes
Reality ... no

If there is no sacrifice for sin which is simply not loving God and each other ... which none of us have mastered ... we can say there are those who have come close but really ... we all know how hard it is to love ... we need to choose when we are tested ... it is not always a fluent choice ...

This is not a friendly place to lovers. We truly don't belong here. Our enemy makes sure there is plenty of battles to be fought in the name of love ... we are attacked on every level ... but always the victors ... only because we have been ransomed from our evil captors and we are defended by that great Love.

So if we say there is no sacrifice needed ... then there is no need for Christ at all ...

The blood sacrifice and covering of all our sins with His blood is what separates Christ from all other gods ... King of all Kings? Lord of all Lords? The one and only true God?
I am the way the truth and the life ? Noone comes to the Father except through Christ ? If oyu have seen me you have seen the Father ? Emmanuel ... ??? And the word was made flesh and dwelt among us?

Where are you and your beloved bro going with these comments and thoughts Jon? ...

I'm really not sure that the 'same' God is being spoken of at all ...

There are many gods and many spirits ... and yes I do believe that there are those who Christ will meet who do not know His name although there are not many places like that left here on earth.
My sheep know my voice and they follow me ...

Valorosa said...

lol Just as I make a comment about monks and there sheltered life ... life in Burma is in my face LOL

http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/site/c.jhKPIXPCIoE/b.3449257/k.F969/Background_Information_on_Myanmar_Burma.htm

If this doesn't open then just type in the amnesty site by itself and find the article ..

jON said...

"They have broken that vow a hundred times over ..."

the same way we have broken this vow a hundred times over, "treat others the same way you would like to be treated."

as i said before, there are differences in our theologies. but underneath that there seems to be an experience that has very similar qualities to my own. perhaps you know very little about the beastie boys. they caused quite an uproar when they hit the scene in 1986 with their seminal classic "fight for your right to party." at the time, they were crude, brash, would drink wantonly on stage, throw things at the audience, bring women up on stage from the crowd to grope and fondle them... the list goes on. yet a scant 8 years later, we have lyrics like this. lyrics taht speak of a changed being. a person who has been reborn into a new creation. someone who is now more concerned with bettering themselves first, and thereby then bettering all of mankind. giving and raising millions of dollars in relief efforts.

so what happened?

it is no secret that i am very curious and fascinated with people outside of the church who exhibit the qualities and fruits of a person who has been traditionally, "born again." and as i read these words, once again, though the theologies are quite different in the minutae, the underlying experience and how it has affected him as a person seem to run very concurrent to mine and my experience of god and how it has affected me and my life.

Valorosa said...

I understand where you are coming from ... and I know that Christ's sacrifice has covered us all ... it is freely offered to all ... to as many as receive Him ... is the key. Although I'm not quite sure whether that is to be our concern ... and we will leave it to God to know who has received Him and who hasn't.

He who wins souls is wise ... the proverbs say.

The blood that gives me strength from day to day will never lose its power.