Monday, July 09, 2007

when you were young and your heart was an open book...




"He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

i don't know why these are the thoughts i have, i just have them. one day, this quote from jesus floated across my transem. and i know that said quote is talking about people and the eternal state of our beings, but it made me wonder some things about the life i, and many other people, live on a daily basis.

it is filled with death. not people who die, but rather things that are already dead. this computer, this desk, this chair, these walls, windows, furniture, carpet, lamp, clothes, car, etc. ad naseum. yet, it is these things that define so much of our world and priorities. and take up the majority of our time and energy to maintain. it becomes so easy for me to forget that i am a part of creation and that i am not seperate from it. and it becomes difficult for me to focus on creation and feel connected to it. to recognize that all that truly exists is god and nature. everything else is man-made and, in my opinion, not as important.

you know, sometimes when i am outside, i try to forget about man-made stuff. buildings, streets, cars, sidewalks, billboards, etc. and just focus on the creation around me at the moment. phase out my attention on the man-made/dead and focus on any natural/living things around at the moment and remember my connection to them and god. this includes other people.

i don't know why, but taking that moment to shift my focus from dead things to living things (even while indoors, although it's much harder to do) really recenters me and helps put things back into perspective. realizing that no matter where i am, in the eyes of the planet, i'm in the middle of nowhere. i'm still out in the middle of a vast open space where the possibilites for our lives are infinite. putting up street signs and man-made boundaries doesn't change that. they just make us forget...

2 comments:

Valorosa said...

Awesome thoughts ...
Reminds me of this ...

"I know you inside and out, and find little to my liking. You're not cold, you're not hot—far better to be either cold or hot! You're stale. You're stagnant. You make me want to vomit. You brag, 'I'm rich, I've got it made, I need nothing from anyone,' oblivious that in fact you're a pitiful, blind beggar, threadbare and homeless.

"Here's what I want you to do: Buy your gold from me, gold that's been through the refiner's fire. Then you'll be rich. Buy your clothes from me, clothes designed in Heaven. You've gone around half-naked long enough. And buy medicine for your eyes from me so you can see, really see.

"The people I love, I call to account—prod and correct and guide so that they'll live at their best. Up on your feet, then! About face! Run after God!

"Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I'll come right in and sit down to supper with you. Conquerors will sit alongside me at the head table, just as I, having conquered, took the place of honor at the side of my Father. That's my gift to the conquerors!

"Are your ears awake? Listen. Listen to the Wind Words, the Spirit blowing through the churches."

Revelation 3

Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
.....

"The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

John 3

Nate said...

I gues that I cam upon this philosophy about ten years back or so. After a bout with constant and expensive repairs.

When you buy a bunch of crap for your house, Then you have to clean and maintain it. It takes up more of your time. Then when you get bored with that crap, you go and buy more crap that takes up more of your time, until in the end, all you have around you is a bunch of crap, and spend all of your time taking care of crap, and planning what other kind of crap you can buy. Basically, this means your life is just a load of crap.