Friday, October 27, 2006

for anyone who's been following along

Hi Jon,

I appreciate your confusion, and can certainly understand how it resulted.
Even more so, I appreciate your efforts to clear up the confusion by
tendering a withdrawal of membership. As requested, your name will be
removed from membership at HCC.

Jon, I have not been at all reluctant to attempt to clarify where your
beliefs and practices diverge from those of HCC in particular, or orthodox
Christianity in general. These attempts have been to ensure clarity in your
mind, and in the minds of those of your blog readers who are aware of your
membership at HCC. I do not apologize for these efforts in and of
themselves. Further, I appreciate that you, to a degree few others seem to
be able to grasp, recognize the compelling need I have felt to fulfill a
scriptural obligation - one that, whether it is readily recognized or not,
is founded upon a love for you, and a desire that you ultimately know the
fullness of God's plan and purpose unfolding in your life. As one driven by
his own compelling needs and sense of obligation, there is perhaps, for you,
a certain insight into this dynamic. Having said this, however, I, as well,
want to apologize for the pain and confusion I have created for you by the
manner in which I have at times pursued my attempts to speak the truth in
love. More than once, I have allowed the manner of my speaking to overpower
both the truth and the love of what I was trying to communicate. For that,
I am truly sorry.

My prayer for you, Jon, is that you receive the desires of your heart in
full measure, and that in doing so, you find a revelation of the Truth of
God's person, his word, and his redemptive purpose. You are loved by me,
Jon, don't ever doubt it.

Love and Truth to you,

Trent

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trent,

That was awesome. I know your relationship with Jon is a complex one with many things behind the scenes that most people don't understand, but I just wanted to say that I thought this past email or post was done with a lot of love. It was really good to read and I have a lot of respect for your courage.

-little bro

Wendy ftfs said...

Another gesture of love from one to the other ...

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 1 Cor.13

Jen said...

I realize I've been out for a while...and just about everything I could say to re-introduce myself would sound fluffy, but WOW!

Um, and I hate that shirt. ;)
I really do...

Once again, your honesty is downright amazing and startling at the same time. Praying. I'll try to catch up.

Godspeed!

jON said...

i know you hate that shirt, jen. we've had this discussion before. not about the shirt, about the word. i can only think of chris rock in his earliest days of stand up comedy back in 1988 doing a bit about old white people and rap.

white people, "i hate rap music! it's not music! i hate it! i hate it! i hate it!"

chris rock, "it's not for you..."

thanks for coming back all the same.